Thursday, February 3, 2011

MY SIP!!!!

Alright guys, here's the deal. I found a SIP! SIP stands for Senior-Individualized-Project, and is a Senior Thesis that every graduate of K must complete. I've spent the last few weeks talking with different psychologists at U of M, and trying to find someone with whom I can work with over the summer. I've found her!

This summer I will be doing my SIP with Dr. Terri Conley, a psychology professor at University of Michigan. Dr. Conley's research interests are broadly based in stigma and sexuality; reactions to and experiences of sexually stigmatized people, the effects of such stigmatization and potential advantages of culturally stigmatized relationships. I will be working as a research assistant this summer, doing any and all of the following:
- finding citations by using PsychInfo (a website) and other databases
- creating and editing Qualtrics surveys and data
- recruiting participants
- coding data
- reading manuscripts and preparing them for journal submissions
-ETC

I'm very very very excited about all of these things. I asked Dr. Conely what type of research she thinks we'll be up to this summer. She said that they're usually rotating between a few different things, but that we will PROBABLY be doing project(s) related to:
- gender differences in sexual desire
- examinations of perceptions of monogamous couples and relationship satisfaction
- stereotypes about heterosexuals held by the LGBQ (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Questioning) Community
- the morality of public health messages and perceptions of risk

Cool, yeah? It should be a good summer. I know it'll be a tough project, but I'm glad I already have some things worked out! Ahead of the game I say.

Hope you all are well! I will be seeing Mom and Dad in a little over a week. Woo-hoo!

1 comment:

  1. Katie -- your advance preparation and excitement for your SIP and internship this summer is amazing. We are proud of all the work you have accomplished while being so far from home while in Kenya. And we are very anxious for your arrival on Valentine's Day -- what a wonderful, lovely day for you to come home. Love always! mom

    ReplyDelete