Tuesday, September 7, 2010

first weekend

Saturday September 4, 2010

Haven't even been here a week and it feels like forever. I miss home and family desperately, but am following the motto "keep on keeping on." Orientation is over and classes start on Monday. The walk to school is about twenty minutes, although depending on traffic it could take more or less time. I walked home from school on Thursday with Amelia, who lives about fifteen or twenty minutes from me walking. We stayed at school for a bit and explored the "Kalamazoo Room" where there is internet and three computers that work well enough to use. I suspect it will be a nice place to hang out after or between classes. We then lay in the grass in the middle of campus, which is BEAUTIFUL, and talked about the past few days. Finally we walked home.

Friday morning I walked to school by myself. SCARY! Traffic is insane - cars don't stop for stoplights, which are few and far between, or people. I have found that you can't hesitate, and once you start walking across the road you have to keep going. Often you have to run! Luckily, many Kenyan students have already started school so I can follow them as they run across the street. It was scary at first, but I've walked around a lot since then and find it much easier now.

We took a driving tour around Nairobi Friday afternoon and saw all of the city a much of the outskirts. I took pictures. Of course.



This is part of our group - in the middle seats are Saskia (left) and Mimansa (right) and in the back is Emily (looking out the window), Amelia and Zach. Megan and I were in the front seats.

We visited a place called Kibira, which they call the slums of Nairobi.

These "houses" go on for miles, and I am told that the rent is often 1000 shillings, which translates into about $12 per month, which to these people is considered expensive. It was a heart-breaking experience to see poverty so close to our houses, which have running water, a shower, a refridgerater, etc.

Our whole group stood on the top of this hill, looking down on the scene before us, feeling guilty and at the same time blessed for what we have. It's hard to remember that, for us, these six months are merely a "vacation" from real life, but for some it is their life, and our time spent here is spent in luxury compared to most who live in Nairobi.

Friday afternoon Mama Carol graduated and got her Masters degree! We had a big celebration at our apartment, with many of her family and friends. There was lots of food and excitement was all around. After the party, I spent the night at Amelia's house and we watched movies all night, and discussed our worries, fears, excitements. Amelia reminded me (and herself) to keep in mind that we've been here less than a week, so of course we're feeling homesick, uncomfortable, anxious, etc. And that by the end of six months this place will really feel like home. I try to keep that in mind.

We leave for Mumbasa a week from Monday and I hear that it is beautiful! I'll try to keep you updated from now until then, although internet access is limited - as in I only get it in the Kalamazoo room at school and am still debating buying a modem.

Lala salema! (Good night!)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll fit in fine, so long as you fit between the speeding buses. I'm putting more minutes on my phone soon, maybe a week or so. Give me a call when you have time. I love you Katie, miss you already.
    Brother Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie -- these pictures are moving. I'm sure your compassionate heart will grow many times over throughout your experiences in Nairobi for the people and their livelihood. Thanks for keeping us posted on your travel plans. Hope your classes started off well. So glad Amelia and you can walk together to and from school. Be safe -- stay in groups! love forever and for always! mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie .. This was a wonderful addition to your blog. Such an amazing experience and one that will change your life I am sure. You are certainly seeing first hand how others live and how fortunate and blessed we are here. The pictures made everything seem so real. They were so very, very interesting. Be careful and know we love you very much. G & G

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And when finally the bottom fell out / I became withdrawn / the only thing I knew how to do / was to keep on keeping on like a bird that flew / tangled up in blue."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Keep on keeping on" is from the movie Joe Dirt.
    "life's a garden, dig it!"

    love the pics! keep 'em coming! i need something neat for my desktop picture!!!! (by the way, havn't seen one with you in it miss camera shy...
    how hot is it there? maybe google can tell me

    John/Allison

    ReplyDelete