Tuesday, September 21, 2010

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Wednesday September 15, 2010

Today we went to an ANIMAL PARK! It was awesome. First we got to FEED GIRAFFES AND MONKEYS. The giraffes were behind a fence thing, but they’d just lean their heads down and slurp up pellets from our hands! Their slobbery, scratchy lips covering our hands in spit. The monkeys were everywhere, and if you held out a pellet to them they’d reach out their little hands and grab it. Then usually run away or go find someone else with food. It was so cool.

We continued to walk through the park and saw crocodiles, hippos, more monkeys (they were literally running around all over the place), water buffalo and a bunch of snakes (in cages.) We had a guide who walked us around and talked to us about all the animals, which was really cool. One of the crocodiles attacked the other one while we were there! He drew blood, it was an interesting mix of awesome and terrifying.

Tonight a few friends and I went to the Indian Ocean, at around midnight or 1. They were sitting on the beach and at some point I decided to go lie in the half foot of water that’s actually present at that time of day. I was wearing a swim suit top and shorts and was just…lying there in the cold water, looking up at the stars, the water covering my stomach as the tide came up. This is hard to describe, but, since I've decided to be more of a spiritual person than a religious person, I haven't had very many "ah-ha" awed moments. But lying in the Indian Ocean at one or two in the morning, all by myself with the waves passing over my skin, staring up at the stars - I felt completely in awe of the univerese. It made me feel so small compared to the vast spaces of the planet. I felt so in tune with mother earth, and nature, and life. I felt completely whole, and completely at home. It was so peaceful and beautiful.


Unfortunately, that is all to report for today. Over all it was a great day, and I hope the pictures are enjoyable to you all!

-Me




Feeding a monkey!!

I want one.





CROCODILE

5 comments:

  1. Katie -- these are three great posts to your blog and neat, neat pictures. You have a wonderful story-telling style with details that make it come alive for the rest of us. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!!
    love, mom and dad
    p.s. NO, you cannot bring a monkey home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie .. loved your description of your trip to see all of the animals. We were very touched by your account of relaxing in the ocean water and all that that meant to you. I don't like to disagree with your mother .. BUT .. I think you should bring a monkey back!! Love you .. G&G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grandma!! It's decided, I'm bringing one back to the US. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun !! It sounds like you're so busy having FUN... when do you go to school? How are your classes going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should name the monkey "Pixie", after you.
    Miss you and think of you so often.
    That peace you felt? That was God talking to you; on the waves, through the water, from all over the universe. And you listened and you HEARD. Wow.
    So glad you are living this great adventure to its fullest! Your language skills are impressive and you are truly embracing a new culture with gusto.
    Keep up the blog, it is so much fun.
    Love,
    LP

    ReplyDelete